It's the main square in Catania; via Etnea, Via Vittorio Emanuele and Via Garibaldi, the three main roads of the old town, cross in this place. It is surrounded by many monuments and in its centre is placed the famous “Elephant’s fontain”, built by Gianbattista Vaccarini.
To admire the square and its monuments, sit at one of the historic bar where you can taste the local cuisine.
It's a "jewel" of the late Sicilian Baroque architecture and an example of integration among different periods, it is shown in UNESCO's World Heritage Site. From 1977, the plezus monastic houses the Humanities faculty.
Palazzo di Sangiuliano is one of the nobilty palaces of the city. It was built, using various colored marbles between 1738 and 1745 at the request of Paternò Castello’s family, and designed by the architect Vaccarini. Currently the rooms are occupied by different commercial activities.
The Diocesan Museum is located in the east ala of the Clerics’ seminary next to the Cathedral, preserves Diocese of Catania’s collection of liturgical furnishings. By type, furniture and objects are stored inside dating from several historical periods ranging from 1300 onwards.
Worth a visit the panoramic balcony.
The Public Library Ursino Recupero is in the ancient Benedectine library and was established in 1931 following the acquisition of the collection of books of Antonio Ursino Recupero. It keeps more than 270,000 volumes.
Located in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea, the Port of Catania was first built in 1438. Repeatedly rebuilt over the centuries, today it is one of the most important ports in Sicily. With a total surface area of 615,000 m2, the Port is home to a variety of different activities
A few steps away from Ursino Castle, going via S. Calogero, you will come across the ancient pit that is entirely covered with lava stone of the 1669 eruption. A legendary place where water flowed. And under the water they were visible some red stains.
Put on sportswear.
The city of Calatabiano is bordered to the north by the River Alcantara Park and to the south by the River Fiumefreddo Reserve and has ancient origins. The castle, its most symbolic monument, and the beach of St. Marco are just some of its beautiful attractions.
Spend a relaxing day in the beautiful beach of St. Marco: sea at Etna feet.
From 1963 to 1976, when the sculptor Carmelo Mendola died, the museum was his house and his art studio. From 1981 to 1991 it was the seat of the cultural meetings of CIAC – Centro Informazione Arte Contemporanea. Only after that it becomes the exhibition place ...
Between 1239 and 1250, Frederick II ordered to build the Ursino Castle for defensive purpose of the East coast of Sicily and it was on a promontory surrounded by sea. In 1669, the eruption gets the Castle away from the sea.
The museum often houses temporary exhibitions and events that melt with the permanent one. To be visited.